CASE STUDY · 2017
Digitally transforming the scheduling, and completion of work in-the-field.
9 months
Redeye
Product designer
Brisbane, Australia
Team and role
I was the sole designer on this project for the first 6 months, bringing it from a very bare-bones bootstrapped concept, to an MVP web, iOS, Android and iPad app within this time.

After the first 6 months, I initiated the hire of a junior designer to work on this project as well, who I mentored throughout the process.
Product manager
Design lead (me)
Junior designer
iOS engineer
Android engineer
I also led the research for this project, testing mostly with clients who we already had established relationships with and were using the companies' other product.
Overview
Workforce Mobility (WFM) was created to facilitate the scheduling and completion of service, maintenance and repair work in the field. The goal is to get an accurate oversight of work being completed on a day-to-day basis to help organizations visualize productivity within their business.

The them of this project was "digital transformation", meaning that we were intending to replace old manual filing systems, physical paper documentation in the field, and make organizing the workforce easier.
The product that "Workforce Mobility" provides.
Audience
Due to the ongoing relationships that Redeye has in the engineering industry, there were already a couple of businesses that were willing to help us design and build this product to cater for some specific needs of theirs and pilot test our software.

This was good for the business to have paying clients on-board early, but there was risk involved from a product perspective in the sense that we were looking to solve a wider problem, not just specific to one or two specific business processes.I held numerous interviews with staff from these companies which helped me get an insight into the current problems and pain points within their existing process.

I used these interviews to build out personas to keep in mind throughout the design process.  This really established a good relationship with those clients too which meant I had a close circle of participants ready to give feedback and help me to validate designs early.

I travelled to different cities to spend time with these clients in person so that I could see the problems they were facing first hand, and this ongoing relationship made it easy to visit regularly to watch them use our products while they were actually performing tasks.
The personas I created to align internally on who we were designing for.
A diagram showcasing what success looked like for a company using Workforce Mobility effectively.
STEP 1
Update the product
After getting a good understanding of how people were using the product, and especially what it was lacking, I began looking at the experience overall to make quick changes.
The original UI from before I started on the project.
General UI issues with the design patterns that were being used, which were originally designed by engineers.
Wrong UI patterns being used for different parts of the process, and the whole "template" feature was revised.
Accessibility issues with color contrast on buttons, which were revisited in later iterations.
The next evolution of the product after I redesigned the key flows.
Branding applied to create a more recognizable and cohesive experience, to work together with our other products.
"Home" and "Issues" tabs were revised to ensure the key information was being surfaced in the correct order for field workers.
"Job" page was redesigned to give field workers access to every piece of important information they needed to start a job on-site.
Third round of updates after creating a component library for the product.
Improved interaction design and order of content on the screen based on user feedback.
Redesigned the "template" experience giving it a complete overhaul that made it a lot easier to use on mobile devices.
Redesigned the main two tabs on the app (Jobs, Issues) to move to a card view which made it easier for users to find relevant information.
STEP 2
Component library
During this process I started working on a component library that could also be used across web and iPad. I partnered closely with a front-end engineer to ensure we were both familiar with the goal, and I could be more aware of constraints in execution.
A snapshot of the component library.
An example of the expanding job panel on the web application, for schedulers to get an in-depth overview of jobs when clicking on one from the list.

This prototype also shows the ability to toggle the preview mode so they can see how workers in the field will view this job, which is especially helpful when creating new jobs.
Outcome
The product is being successfully used today by 5 large enterprise clients, each with a workforce of 20-80 staff members.  It was a very valuable project for me to be involved in because I got to facilitate a lot of concept/ideation workshops.  

I also enjoyed the constant communication with clients that enabled me to get validation very quickly throughout my design process.

Working for Redeye also gave me a good insight into the enterprise SaaS space.
One of the clients seeing success with Workforce Mobility.